Given that the government is currently seeking submissions on its proposals in relation to the Foreshore and Seabed Act, I thought it might be useful to gather together links to some key documents relating to the foreshore and seabed issue.
So, here are 12 important documents:
- Reviewing the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004 – the Government’s consultation document, released 31 March 2010;
- Pākia ki Uta, Pākia ki Tai – Report of the Ministerial Review Panel, 30 June 2009;
- Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004;
- Report on the Crown’s Foreshore and Seabed Policy – Waitangi Tribunal report, 2004;
- Ngāti Apa v Attorney General – Court of Appeal decision, 2003;
- Report of the UN Special Rapporteur, 2006;
- Ngā Hapū o Ngāti Porou Foreshore and Seabed Agreement, 2008;
- Decision of the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination in relation to the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004 – March 2005;
- Attorney-General’s Report on the consistency of the Foreshore and Seabed Bill with the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990 – May 2004;
- ‘Commentary on the Crown’s Consultation Document’ – Iwi Leaders Group, 31 March 2010;
- ‘Tipuna Title as a Tikanga Construct re: the Foreshore and Seabed’ – paper written by Moana Jackson explaining the concept of “tipuna title”, March 2010;
- A primer on the government consultation document ‘Reviewing the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004’ – Moana Jackson, 7 April 2010.